Locksmithing/Diebold Cashgard Safe

I have an opportunity to purchase a Diebold Cashgard TL30 Safe (Ser. #06-27570C-96341-01) for a few hundred dollars. The outer door and both inner right side doors have electronic locks which are all open. Can these electronic locks be changes out to mechanical locks. Also, will it be a big expense getting the combinations to open all 6 small inner doors? The safe is configured with the (6) small doors on the left half of the safe and the (2) larger doors on the right. Is this more trouble than it's worth?

Hi Don,

That will depend on what modifications were done to convert it to digital locks in the first place.

My general answer would be yes, however just because I have the capability to restore and/or work on safes, doesn't mean that every locksmith or local safe company has the same capabilities.

Without seeing the safe to see what was done to convert it to digital, I'm not in a position to tell you what needs to be done to convert it back.     I would need to either see the safe or to see photos of the safe bolt work and locks.

As for the interior doors, I'm assuming that you are indicating that the 6 interior doors are all locked up with unknown combinations.   As far as "is it more trouble than its worth" - I can't answer that - I'm not interested in buying the safe - you are.

As far as advice about "purchasing it" - you have two values the potential value of the safe and the potential cost to have the interior compartments opened and repaired (combo's recovered), and the labor and material cost to convert the three safe doors back to mechanical locks.

As far as the value of the "safe", the serial number doesn't mean anything to anybody but the factory.   However as it is a TL-30 rated safe, for a "few hundred dollars" as long as the safe is open, you can't go wrong.

Cost to open the interior compartments and convert the other locks WILL depend on who does the work so it pays to get the right guy, but should NOT hurt the value of the safe.

If you are buying it to use then it may be a very good buy, however if you are planning on buying it to sell, then I don't think you are going to make quite the profit you may be hoping for, especially if you can't do the work yourself.

Hope this helps.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)