Locksmithing/Duplicate key making machines.

QUESTION: Dear Terry

Are there duplicate key making machines available in the Market?.

ANSWER: Hello Prashant,

Yes there are.    The type WILL depend on the types of keys you plan on cutting.

I've included a couple web addresses for you to check out.    Note:   Kaba has facilities throughout Europe and the US, so they address many of the types of key cutting machines that are needed throughout the world.

these sites should also be able to direct you to a distributor that services your area.

Hope this helps,

QUESTION: Dear Terry

1 Do you feel that this could be a good Business product line startup for a manufacturing co?.

2 Do the duplicate key making machine supports all types of key materials viz Steel, Aluminium, Plastic, Wood, iron etc?.

Hi Prashant,

Short answer yes and no.

1.   It isn't going to be a "good business product line", however it is a good "support" line.   You don't make a living off of simply cutting keys, however, if you have a larger product line, when someone comes into your business to have a key duplicated, they may be interested in something else.
It may take several years just to pay off or zero out your investment.

2.   The key machine doesn't cut the keys, the cutting wheel does.     This means that if you are going to use one machine to cut different types of materials, then you will need different types of cutters for the various materials.
Generally, most real locksmith shops or professional key cutters will several key machines set up for the different materials and/or different types of keys.     I'm not sure where you came up with plastic, wood and iron as materials for keys, however as long as you have the correct cutting wheel for the type of material it shouldn't be a problem.

Cutting wheels can be very expensive.   Though they generally have a fairly long (useful) life, cutting the wrong material can shorten and/or ruin its useful life.

Bottom line you have several items to think about before ordering a key machine.

1.   The types of keys you will be cutting (note:   this is NOT material type)

2.   various cutters that you will need for the various types of materials

3.   Lastly, you will want to order a supply of key blanks for the types of keys you anticipate cutting.    It won't do you any good to have the best key machines in the world if you don't have any keys to cut.

Make sure you understand the various key types (not materials), so that you can get key machines which will cut them.    Some key machines may cut several types, and some may be very specialized only cutting one, very specific type of key.

Hope this helps,

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)