Locksmithing/IC Core Locks

Hi Dan,
I am working on 2 Best IC core Locks. One is a lever lock and one is a dead bolt on the same door. There is no place to poke the catch in to remove the lever to install a new ic core. I took the lock apart but there seems to be no way to remove it from the back also. And how do you remove the core from the dead bolt? There seems no way to get it out.Will a Schlage IC core fit into the lock after I remove the Best core? Thanks for what ever info you can give me.

Hi Dave. You need a "control" key, which is used to remove cores in a Best IC system.

It is usually marked "control" or CK.

You can also pick it to the core removal position.

It takes a little practice and sometimes a special tension wrench but it is do-able.

Replacement cores are not that expensive if you have to drill them out to save the lock.

Hope  this helps.

Dan Terrigno

I can answer questions about commercial locks, card access systems, locksmithing except for cars, safes & safe opening, video surveillance and master key systems

35 years as a locksmith, security system designer and installer, trouble shooting and repair of all manner of security related equipment

Associated Locksmiths of America, Safe & Vault Technicians Association

Attended Miami University, Kent State University, continuing education through the Associated Locksmiths of American

Certified Master Locksmith. Certified ALOA instructor.

Numerous Fortune 500 companies, DOD, and other governmental agencies