Locksmithing/Mosler

Question
"I have a mosler serial# 18824-15 model# 12 found it in a old house that I bought in the auction is there any way you might be able to help me get the combonation to open it or some helpful hints that i might try im sure that there is nothing in it but would like to use the safe for my personal use.
It looks like a fridge an sure I could use it to keep my valuables in it.
Thanks"

Answer
Hi Leo,

Your safe was made around 1967.    Unfortunately, MOSLER has been out of business since 2001, so contacting them to check records for the original combination is going to be slightly difficult.

Depending on how your safe was originally sold, it would have had either a unique combination, or it would have been set on the factory combo of 50-25-50.   Safes which were set on the standard factory combination were meant to have a combination set when it was delivered to the first owner.   If you don't have the option of contacting previous owners of the property to see if they have any records, then for all intents and purposes they don't exist.

This basically leaves you with two options.   You can either Test all possible combinations that may have been set on the lock installed on your safe (1,000,000 possible), or you can have it opened by a safe technician from a local safe company.    Testing 500 combinations every day would only take you about 5.5 years to test them all, though hopefully you would find the correct combination before you test them all.

As far as anything being in the safe - generally people do not abandon safes with "stuff" still inside.   The caveat to this would be a death in the family, where no one has the combination but the deceased.   However, not many relatives would leave the safe unopened!

As far as using it to keep your valuables in, I have to caution you to first determine what you actually have.    Fire resistive safes are designed to protect documents from fire - they are NOT burglary resistive safes.    Burglary resistive safes are designed to keep people out of your safe, but they are not designed to protect your stuff from fire or heat.   Composite safes generally provide some level of both fire and burglary resistance.

Please note the use of the term "resistance" and NOT proof.   There is no such thing as a fire "PROOF" or burglary "PROOF" safe.   Safes provide a limited amount of protection for specific periods of time.    The better the safe the more time that you are protected - or the longer it takes for fire to heat it up, or a burglar to break in.

If you decide to have the safe opened but don't want to turn it into a 5 year family project, then I would recommend your contacting a local safe company to have their trained safe tech open your safe.   Cost will vary based on different companies and the type of safe you have, however anyone that can't give you a flat rate fee (all inclusive with no hidden numbers), may not actually know what they are doing.    Anyone who indicates that they can open your safe, but may ruin it in doing so, should also be avoided like the plague!    If you wanted the safe ruined you might as well make it a DIY project.

If you don't have any local safe companies, then let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see if I know and/or would recommend anyone in your area.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)