Locksmithing/Used Bernardino safe

Question
Bernardini Safe Front
Bernardini Safe Front  

Bernardini Safe Tags
Bernardini Safe Tags  
I recently purchased a used Bernardini safe from your showroom. I was hoping to get some more information on this safe. Can you identify the model and approximate year it was manufactured? Also, is it equivalent to a TL15 or TL30 rated safe? I also just realized that the 2 hour fire rating is not UL rated, but by an independent laboratory in Brazil. Would you consider their standards similar? Also, because of the age of the safe, would you consider the rating to be valid to today's standards? i.e. 2 hour fire rating the same protection as a new UL 2 hour fire rated safe? Does the bolt hole compromise the fire resistance of the safe? Finally, can you tell if this safe has ever been drilled?
Thank you!

Answer
Hi Liz,

There is really no such thing as "equivalent"!   It either is a TL-15 or it isn't.   If it doesn't have a UL label indicating TL-15 or TL-30 resistance, then it is NOT.

Based on the photos that you provided, the safe is a non-rated burglary resistive safe, with two hours of fire resistance.

Non-Ratings are basically safes which are built below the minimum UL Burglary ratings.    This covers the majority of the safes out there.    These safes are designed for small businesses and home owners, keeping less than around $10,000 in valuables, overnight storage.

Basically non-rated burglary safes have to have LESS than 1" of steel (or equivalent material) in the door and LESS than 1/2" of steel (or equivalent material) in the walls.     You can look at 100's of different non rated containers and see everything from cheap tin boxes to substantial safes, like your Bernardini - but as they are not rated containers, they ALL fall under the non-rated category.

As far as the "Testing" procedures, many of the foreign standards are actually tougher than some of the UL standards - especially for fire resistance.   In general, testing is very similar at most test facilities.   The test safes are placed in an oven, at a test temperature (see your label) for the given time period - in this case two hours.   After the test period, and while the safe is still hot, they are taken out of the oven, inverted and dropped from a height of 25-40 feet on to broken brick, and then reinserted into a 2000 degree F. oven for an additional 30 minutes.
During the test period, the interior of the safe cannot exceed 350 degrees F.     This is not an arbitrary number - paper chars around 412 degrees F. and it combusts at around 451 degrees F.      Keeping the interior temperature below 350 degrees F. will ensure that documents are protected from heat and fire.

Having a "bolt down hole" in the bottom of the safe, does not significantly impact the safes fire resistance rating, however the hole IS intended to be filled by an anchor bolt, and anchored to concrete.    If you don't have the safe anchored down correctly, then it would be a good idea to fill the door with some other type of fire resistive insulation material, to maintain full fire resistance.

As far as your question about whether or not the safe has ever been drilled, without examining it, I have no way of knowing.    From the photos you have provided it doesn't appear to have been, again however, without examining it in detail, I can't answer this question.

As far as the safes basic construction and intended use, these were very good safes, well built with few problems.

Note:    In order to keep the safe in good working condition it needs regular maintenance - regardless of the manufacturer.     Commercial usage needs service at least on an annual basis, possibly more often.    Residential usage is every 3 to 5 years.    Caveat to both of these periods would be - OR as soon as you notice ANY type of problem.

Hopefully this answers your questions.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)