Locksmithing/Diebold 177-39 lock

I have a Diebold 177-39 lock, with the original combination, that i purchased from my employer.  I am trying to change the combination, but i can't find any instructions on how to do it. I also have the Change Key. I also have pictures of the safe. It is a cash drawer safe combo. Any Help would be grateful.

thank you

Hi Dominic,

The unit that you have is not a cash drawer safe, it is an under-counter storage unit, used by banks and similar companies for temporary storage WHILE the teller is present.   This unit was NOT designed or intended for any type of overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents, and should not be used as such.

Generally I don't recommend combination changing or lock disassembly as a DIY project for the same reason that I don't recommend using locksmiths for safe lock work.    Lack of training and knowledge can result in a very expensive lockout.

While I don't personally have a problem with you doing the work yourself, I do have to warn you of the danger of not doing it correctly, but it is up to you to decide if you want to try it yourself.    Obviously in today's society where many individuals simply don't want to take responsibility for their own actions and want to hold others responsible, we are forced to have you sign a hold-harmless form in order to release these instructions.   As you already have the tool, there is no charge for the instructions.

Note:   It is not our intention, nor do I have the time to train you on the lock operation or lock servicing.   While the instructions are pretty self explanatory, if you don't understand them or make a mistake, then I would recommend you simply have a local safe company reset the combination for you.   This would ensure proper lock operation and that you understand the dialing sequence for this lock.

However, you will need to send an email request directly to me, stating the nature of your request as I won't remember it by tomorrow - LOL!

Send the request for the instructions directly to me at:    andy@securitysafeusa.com

I'll send you the form to sign, and once I receive it back, I will forward the instructions for your lock.

hope this helps,  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)