Locksmithing/Gun safe combo lock

Question
Had to do the +\- one number on my combination to get it to open.
1.) is there something I need to tighten or have looked at in the mechanism to keep working  or will this be my number from now on?
2.) can a standard combination on a gun safe be switched out for a digital mechanisim? How hard of a task is this?

Answer
Hi Chris,

Safe locks are similar to watches.   Even the most expensive watch has to be adjusted slightly, occasionally to keep it telling accurate time.     Safe locks require basic services for the same reason - so that your combination is accurate, and more important - that it will open every time you dial the combination.

So what your first comments tell me, is that YES, your safe is overdue for service.

Second item,   In general, yes your safe can be modified to accept a digital lock.

As far as how hard a task this would be WILL depend on the locking mechanism (bolt work).    The cheaper safes (sorry - less expensive), may have bolt work and locks which have to be upgraded to accept the lock.

While there are a couple locks available which are pretty much "plug & play", installation still requires a bit of mechanical knowledge.

If you think you can do it - then by all means give it a try.    RULE #1 - DO NOT close and lock the door until after you have verified its proper operation.

Note:   I generally don't recommend removing locks or bolt work as a DIY item for the same reason I don't recommend using locksmiths.   Lack of training, knowledge and/or tools CAN result in a very expensive locked up safe.

If you want one of the better quality digital locks or perhaps a redundant lock (mechanical and electronic lock) then you would be better off having these installed by a trained safe tech.

Hope this answers your question.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)