Locksmithing/Hall'Safe and Lock Company Safe

Question
I have recently acquired an old safe and am interested in it's history. It is a Hall's Safe and Lock Company heavy safe SN 98181.
The name across the top front reads CHAS. N. KINNEY. It is about 25" deep, 29" wide, and 34" tall on casters.  Any info is greatly appreciated.

Answer
Hi Stan,

If you are looking for basic info on the Hall's Safe & Lock Company, I can give you that, however if you are looking for individual information about your safes history and who may have owned it - if you didn't get that info from the previous owner, then it doesn't exist.   You may want to start by researching the "Chas. N. Kinney" (probably Charles), this would possibly have been the original owner, or one of the early following owners.

Based on the serial number you have provided, your safe would have been built between 1880-1885.   While this is just outside of the range that I would normally look at for artists, the artist painting safes for Hall's Safe & Lock Company, between 1875 to at least 1880 was John Hauser.    Usually I look up through about 97,000, however your serial number is close enough to warrant a look, to see if it might have been done by him.

I would be more than happy to look at your safe to see what other info I can provide and/or questions that you may have that I can answer.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)