Locksmithing/J & J Taylor Toronto Safe Works

Question
J & J Taylor safe
J & J Taylor safe  

J & J Taylor safe
J & J Taylor safe  
I own a scrap yard here in British Columbia and we occasionally get safes in that appear quite old.

I have one that came in from a Catholic school that we have traced back to 1986 and no one remembers it ever being openened in that time.

Wondering if I should bother investing in opening it (local shop is quoting me $350 plus parts) and what the rough value is opened and unopened?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Answer
Hi Terry,

Sorry but I don't do evaluations without seeing the condition of the complete safe.    Locked up, it currently has a negative value, that being the cost to open the safe up.   If the interior cabinetry is in relatively good condition though, I think you will be happy.

If the local lock/safe company can open it for you for $350 - that's NOT a bad price.   Just make sure there are no hidden charges.    Make sure you understand the following prices:
1.   mobile service / trip charge: _________
2.   Cost to open the safe:  ________ Labor
3.   Cost to repair the safe: _______ Labor
or - flat fee (cost to open & repair)
4.   Material charges:  ___________  drill bits, repair material, etc.
5.   Parts:  _________

If the safe is opened professionally and correctly, you shouldn't need any replacement parts.   and as replacement parts are not going to be readily available, every effort to open the safe without damaging or ruining the dial and lock should be taken.

My flat fee for the same safe - in my area would be  $375 open & repair (flat fee), $105 mobile service, plus parts.    Or total of $480 plus parts - no hidden charges, so a total flat fee of $350 is a good price - if they don't ruin it getting it open!

Anyone that indicates that they will ruin or damage the safe or the lock while opening it should probably be avoided.

Once the safe is opened, repaired and in good operational condition, if you would still like me to look at it to evaluate it, I would be more than happy to.

In order to answer questions, identify, evaluate or appraise the “current condition” of your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos (close-ups) should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please use a “jpeg” format, not a bitmap (bmp) image.   Also, I don’t like “website” photo dumps.   While it may be an easy place for you to store them, retrieving photos which allow me to zoom in to look at details, takes a lot of extra time.   Please send the requested photos directly to me.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)