Locksmithing/LA Gard 3000 key pad trouble

Key pad
Key pad  

I have an LA Gard 3000 entry device on my safe. I have replaced the batteries twice in the past 3 months and it continues to give me difficulty opening it. It will open fine one day and the next not allow any access. Currently when we attempt to open the safe, a red light is on and no noise is made when a button is pushed. Should I continue to replace the batteries or is there a bigger problem with it? Any help or direction would be greatly aprpeciated.

Thank you for your time!

Hi Crystal,

All electronics are subject to failure - it's not an "IF" thing, its a "When" thing.   If you are having issues or problems with it, then you need to get it checked out and/or replaced immediately.  
Your issues could be a lock failure, a short on the circuit board, key pad failure, etc.  

Unlike a cellphone failure, which can be a real inconvenience - generally all you have to do is get a new one and have the programming transferred over.     With a safe, if the lock fails with the safe locked up, you no longer have any access to your "stuff".    If this is on a business safe, it could mean not being able to get access to cash tills, or other items which allow you to operate your business.

Cost to repair the safe could be tripled if the safe is locked up, requiring opening and repairing, plus a new lock.

Recommendation if you are still having problems, LOCK THE DOOR OPEN, until you can have a safe technician from a local safe company (not a locksmith), come out to evaluate the problems and/or replace the lock.

If the lock has already failed and/or you can't get the safe door open, then you have one option left - contact the safe company to have their safe technician open and repair your safe.

Bottom line - don't wait, get it fixed before it becomes worse.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)