Locksmithing/Mosler safe

Question
Hello,
I have a large Mosler safe that I'm looking to find out some for information on. This is what I know.
BP-280
Plant number 2
Number 98007
Spec b1
Y37902
Smna class 4
Serial number 20339 54
What is it worth? Who could I sell it to? How heavy is it?
Thanks!
Jessie

Answer
Hi Jessica,

I think I already answer this question, but if not, here is my answer again.

Most of the info you have provided has nothing to do with "YOUR" safe, other than to indicate the "standards" which it was built to, at the time it was built.    SMNA (Safe Manufacturers National Association) and UL (Underwriters Laboratories) were both testing agencies, providing some type of "STANDARDS" throughout the industry.

In the case of the SMNA label, your safe is considered a basic burglary resistive safe.

Specification "B1" is the basic burglary rating.
Classification 4 indicates a round door chest, with a body thickness of 1" minimum, with a door thickness of 1-1/2" minimum, exclusive of the bolt work.   Locking mechanism may be a lug type or bolt type.    In your case, the door is a tapered round door, with three locking bolts.

Your safe was built in 1969, it is "Lot #20339, safe #54".   

Weight.    The safe is fairly small, not much larger than the interior compartment, surrounded by what we call a "cladding", which is then filled with cement or some other similar material for weight.     It probably weighs in the 600-800 lb range.

As far as value, it has very limited value as it is considered obsolete.    Basic values are:

1.  Fire resistance:     $0     This is NOT a fire resistive safe.    While the surrounding concrete material may provide some fire resistance, this is NOT a fire resistive safe.
2.  Burglary resistance: $100 to $250     While this safe does meet minimum burglar resistive standards, it is obsolete.   There are no parts available for it, and its size limits any practical use.    Too large an exterior with NO real useable storage space.
3.  Retail:          $0     No commercial or retail value.
4.  Antique:          $0     Not an antique safe - over 100 years old.
5.  Collectible:         $0     Not collectible.

Sorry I know this isn't the answer that you are looking for, however your safe is over 45 years old.   Parts haven't been available in 14 years now and new designs have made this one obsolete.

As far as buyers go, or where to sell it, you can try eBay, Craigs List or local want ads.   Unfortunately, if someone called me up about your safe I would have to give them similar advice.

hope this helps

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)