Locksmithing/Safe question

Question
ARM
ARM  
Hi Andy,

What is the hydraulic arm called that holds up a floor safe door?  It looks like a shock absorber.
I have a Star floor safe with a hinged square door that has one of these arms to hold it up.

I've attached a picture of the arm's label, but I cannot find this number anywhere.  The Safe is a Star, but the model number tag on the lid is blank.

Thanks,
Kim

Answer
Hi Kim,

AMSEC is the current owner and manufacturer of STAR safes, though the only models still being made are the lift out, round door models.

The "shock absorber" is called a "gas Shock".  It isn't designed to slow down the closing of the door, it is designed to assist or lift the safe door so to avoid the possibility of it dropping on your fingers or hands.  

The one that you are showing is an older, obsolete model.   It isn't made any longer, in fact they currently only offer two gas shocks, one for the square door safes and one which attaches to the "slam dampener" device which slows the closing of larger upright safe doors, again, to keep the door from crushing fingers.    These gas shocks are NOT interchangeable and have different pressures.

If you need a replacement for your gas shock, you will need to contact me directly.   I would recommend that you measure yours, so I can determine if the current model will fit.    The measurement we need is "center to center" between the two mounting holes.

You can email me directly for more info, and with your measurements at:

Andy@securitysafeusa.com    or by calling me at    800-326-4224  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)