Locksmithing/Shaw Walker 2 hr fire resistent file cab

Question
shawwalker
shawwalker  
I have had safe for 26 years. 2 drawer 1 hour fire resistent on wheels.
Lock works fine. Top drawer won't open; the button that  you depress
to open drawer doesn't seem to be working. Bottom drawer works fine.
How best to resolve?

Answer
Hi Stephen,

Mechanical issues generally require hands on diagnostics and solutions.

The little "lever" under the handle attaches to a latch in the drawer face.   If it is not retracting the latch, chances are it is either jammed, or broken.    The lock activates a gang lock, NOT associated with this latch, which is why unlocking it has no effect on its operation.

If you can't get it to retract, then you will need a locksmith or safe tech retract the latch to open the drawer.

If you can open the lower drawer and remove it, you may be able to gain enough access to the upper drawer to find the latch and retract it.    If not you will need outside help.

Once open they can look at it to see if it can be repaired.    No replacement parts are available, so any additional damage may ruin the unit, or make it unlockable.     

Check your local yellow pages under "safes & vaults" for a local company, to have them check the container out.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)