Locksmithing/Storage facility in Cars.

Dear Terry

Do you feel Electronic lock with password can enhance security in addition to current mechanical lock implementation in the rear side of storage facility in cars?.

Hi Prashant,

Adding any type of security container to a car, regardless of the access control, will add security to an owners "stuff".   The majority of auto break-ins, involve simply grabbing items of value.
Leaving ANY items of value in a car, which may be parked in an area that has public access is simply ASKING to be robbed.

Simply moving items from the interior of the car to the trunk adds a level of security, but then placing them a second security container adds another level.    One of the main issues I have with adding extra security containers, is that they provide the owners with a false sense of security.    As most people tend to become complacent with their valuables and their security, they will tend to believe that the extra container makes them invulnerable to theft, where as the opposite may be true.    It may actually make them more of a target, as they may make it a habit of securing more and more valuables for longer periods of time.

The problem with cars over a building or structure, is that in the worst case, the car can simply be stolen - along with ALL if its contents.   The thieves can then take their time to open or gain access to the trunk or any security container.

Bottom line - NOTHING of value should be left in a car for anything other than short term storage, and in most cases I wouldn't recommend leaving any items of value at all.

Short answer, yes it will increase security if used properly.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)