Locksmithing/Tower Sears and Roebuck Co

Question
QUESTION: My husband has a locked fireproof safe (file cabinet) in his basement that was his ex-father-in-laws
His father inlaw saved coins and stamps and silver
He didn't want to drill out the lock so I'm trying to find out if there is a way to get a key made
There are various metal plates with numbers but can tell if these would be for the key code to remake a key
Any ideas would be helpful
Bill thinks the safe is from the 60a

ANSWER: Hi Diane,

While the container may have some fire resistance, it is NOT fire proof.    Ratings of these containers are based on standards or testing times,   Generally these would be 1/2 hour or 1 hour ratings for filing cabinet type containers.

Tower was simply a "label" or logo used by Sears & Roebucks, it was not a manufacturer.    Sears & Roebucks bought or obtained equipment from various manufacturers and simply relabeled them with their logo.   Also, file cabinets are NOT safes.   This type of equipment is ONLY designed to keep general documents protected from "heat" for a specific amount of time - based on the container rating.

As far as the "metal plates" on the container, these don't apply to the lock itself.   If there is a "key code", it would be on the face of the lock cylinder.

So what are your options?

1.  if the lock has a code on it, you should be able to have a key made by any reputable locksmith shop.
2.  if the lock doesn't have a code on it the locksmith should be able to pick the lock open, and then make a key to it.    It is also possible to make a key by impressioning the lock, however you may not have a local locksmith that is trained or good at this technique.

As this lock does not have to be drilled out, and as replacement locks may not be available, anyone who indicates that they are going to drill it out probably isn't a good choice to help you make keys for it.

Hope this helps you out.

QUESTION: Thank you
I took a picture of the 'lock' but here is no number etched into the lock
I will search for. Locksmith who can pick the lock

Answer
Hi Diane,

Check your local yellow pages under "safes & vaults" and/or locksmiths".

Generally you want someone that has an actual shop and not one who is strictly mobile.    While there are some fairly good mobile only lock & safe guys out there, the majority tend to be someone to whom this is simply a hobby that they are getting paid to do, by people who only have slightly less knowledge than they do.

People that actually have shops or businesses generally put more time and effort into training and tools, so that the work they do is usually more "professional".

This doesn't mean that some one strictly mobile, can't be professional as well, it just means that there is a much smaller percentage who make this career more than a hobby.

If they know what they are doing, they will tell you up front, and generally have a flat fee for the service, and not a "ball park" number, or vague idea of what the charges "MIGHT" be.

If you can't find someone, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see if I know anyone in your area that I can recommend.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)