Locksmithing/Antique Morris & Ireland Safe

Question
Morris & Ireland
Morris & Ireland  
I have a Morris & Ireland safe, I was also given the combination, but can't seem to get it to work. The lock has letters, not numbers. I read another post on here, and the sequence I am following seems correct.

here is what I was supplied with. I assume, on the first spin, I stop on the letter on the 4th time it lines up. Also any other info you could supply on this safe would be appreciated.

COMBO: R - 4 TURNS TO THE RIGHT, O - 3 TIMES TO

THE LEFT, M - 2 TIMES TO THE RIGHT, K - 1 TIME TO THE LEFT.

WITH K ON MARK, TURN BOTH THE HANDLE AND THE DIAL

SIMULTANESOUSLY TO THE RIGHT TO OPEN

Answer
Hi Rich,

While this safe may have been sold by Morris & Ireland, it appears to be a MacNeale & Urban safe.

Combinations are passed along the way the previous owner understands it and not necessarily the way the lock works.   It seems so in this case as well.    There are a couple problem areas.

The dialing sequence for this lock should be:

4 times right to the first letter,  "R"
3 times left to the second letter,  "O"
2 times right to the third letter,  "M"
1 time left to the fourth letter,  "K"
1 time right until the dial stops -  THEN turn the handle.

The last part of your instructions is wrong.    The dial and the handle have nothing to do with each other.   Trying to turn the handle before the lock is unlocked accomplishes nothing, other than to possibly bind the lock up.    They operate independent and separately.

With the lock unlocked the handle will turn to open.

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the rotations of the dial, count the individual letter as it arrives at the index mark.    For instance on the first letter, begin turning clockwise (right) stopping the fourth time the letter "R" arrives at the index mark.   Similarly dial the other three letters - again you are counting the LETTER as it arrives at the index mark and NOT the dial rotations.

There are only three reasons that a safe lock will not operate correctly - in order they are:

1.   Incorrect dialing sequence, operator errors
2.   Incorrect combination, wrong numbers (or letters)
3.   Mechanical problems.

At this point I'm inclined to believe that you are simply making a dialing error.   If it still won't open and you have verified that you ARE dialing it correctly, then the letters may not be correct, or are out of sequence.

If it still won't open, then it's time to contact a professional safe tech from a local safe company to check it out.

hope this helps,  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)