Locksmithing/Browning Yukon Gold 23 Door

Question
Is the door removable (lift off) on the Browning Yukon Gold 23?
My mid 90's Cannon safe does not have a removable door, but a friends safe with similar hinges, at least from what I can see, as the Browning, has a lift off door. I may need to remove it to get it into a specific spot. Thank you.

Answer
Hi Jon,

Yes, I believe that your safe has external hinges.   With the door open to 90 degrees, the door can be removed by lifting it off the hinges.

NOTE:   The door is going to be about 1/4 to 1/3 the weight of the safe, so if you have a 900 lb safe, the door can easily be 225 to 300 lbs.    weight and gravity are NOT your friends when dealing with weight, AND having to align several hinge pins.    Use proper safety equipment and make sure that you have proper equipment to handle items of this much weight.  One slip can easily result in a lost finger, toe or worse.

While you may want to move it yourself, I would recommend your getting a local safe company to do the work as they should have all the equipment necessary to remove the door (if necessary) and to move the safe without any issues or problems.

Generally as hinges are fairly tight fitting, the door may not lift off easily.   Wiggle it back and forth while lifting.    Lubricate the hinge pin and hinges with a good quality bearing grease before reassembling the door.    This is one area of the safe that gets overlooked when it comes to maintenance.

Hope this helps - BE CAREFUL!

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)