Locksmithing/Date of Cary Safe

Question
Cary Safe5
Cary Safe5  

Cary Safe4
Cary Safe4  
I stumbled upon an old double door Cary Safe. I would like to know approximately when the safe was manufactured and anything else about this particular model that might be of interest.  The serial number on the ball of the handle is 61108. The serial number on the plate over the tumbler mechanism is 70019.  The individual's name on the safe lived from 1887-1948. Extrapolating from the manufacture dates of some of your other posts, I think the safe was manufactured around 1899-1900. This would mean that the individual was 13 when the safe was manufactured...which seems odd.

Answer
Hi Bob,

The serial number on the ball of the handle is the safe serial number, the serial number on the lock curb (silver disc) is the lock serial number.     Early on, these two numbers may have been the same, but eventually they were different - as is the case here.

The lock on this safe is a Cary C-5, three wheel, straight tail piece type lock.

You are correct about the date.   My records put the date of manufacture at 1899.   I'll usually bracket that because I'm always updating my records as I get new info and there are no records available from the manufacturer, so a good reference period would be 1898-1900.

Don't assume that the man listed on the safe was the original owner.    I've seen safes which have been painted over with new owners names, with up to three names buried under the paint.    He could have purchased the safe at a much later date, or the name and info that you looked up may have come from a different individual with the same or a similar name.    Remember that just because the info is on the internet somewhere, does NOT mean that it is exact or correct for the query you have posed.

I'm not sure what other info that you would be looking for or interested in.    As there are no factory records available, there is no way to confirm or deny that this individual was indeed the first owner of the safe.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)