Locksmithing/diebold safe, 1871 pat.

Question
have an old diebold safe inside a larger safe. had it opened years ago but never got back to using it. found the card the locksmith left and it says:
5 times right to 35
2 times left to 10
1 time to stop  80,  

80 doesn't stop. any ideas   Thanks Lex

Answer
Hi Lex,

Unless three of the wheels are set on 35, you are missing a number or two.    Assuming that the lock is set on this combo, then you are possibly making a dialing error.

Right is clockwise, Left is counter clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

So for the first number, you will turn the dial clockwise, stopping the fifth time the number 35 arrives at the index mark.
For the second number, turn the dial counter clockwise, stopping the second time the number 10 arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.    This isn't going to be a full revolution the first time the number 10 arrives.
Then turn the dial clockwise.    If the combo is correct and the dialing sequence is correct, the dial will stop around 80.   If it doesn't stop, then either you have made a mistake or the numbers are not correct.

At this time you will need to contact a local safe company to have their trained safe tech check it out.

Hope this helps,  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)