Locksmithing/Fire resistant safe vaults metals.

Question
Dear Terry

Which among the metals viz Iron, Steel, Aluminium etc are efficient Fire resistant materials for safe vaults?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Hi Prashant,

generally metals are NOT heat resistant, though some materials are much better at dissipating heat.    This is one of the reasons that Brass or Copper are used in torch resistant safes.

Sandwiched between layers of steel are layers of Brass or Copper.   When the bad guys try to use a torch to cut into the safe, the copper draws the heat off of the steel, keeping it cool enough so that it is MUCH harder to burn through, however this is NOT fire resistive.

The problems with metals, is that the heat is passed through them heating up the interior of the safe, similar to an oven or Dutch Oven.   

Fire safes are designed and constructed to keep the interior of the container below 350 degrees F. (176 degrees Celsius), as paper chars at around 412 degrees F (211 degrees Celsius) and combusts around 451 degrees F (233 degrees Celsius).     The materials used to keep the temperatures down are materials which do not transfer heat, like metals do.    This is why materials like plaster of Paris, Gypsum and various types of mortar are used.     Most manufacturers have their own particular recipes for their insulation, though materials are similar.     The sheet steel is used to house the insulation and not as a heat barrier.

Metals are basically conductors of heat and not insulators from heat.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)