Locksmithing/Fire resistant safe vaults metals.

Dear Terry

Which among the metals viz Iron, Steel, Aluminium etc are efficient Fire resistant materials for safe vaults?.

Hi Prashant,

generally metals are NOT heat resistant, though some materials are much better at dissipating heat.    This is one of the reasons that Brass or Copper are used in torch resistant safes.

Sandwiched between layers of steel are layers of Brass or Copper.   When the bad guys try to use a torch to cut into the safe, the copper draws the heat off of the steel, keeping it cool enough so that it is MUCH harder to burn through, however this is NOT fire resistive.

The problems with metals, is that the heat is passed through them heating up the interior of the safe, similar to an oven or Dutch Oven.   

Fire safes are designed and constructed to keep the interior of the container below 350 degrees F. (176 degrees Celsius), as paper chars at around 412 degrees F (211 degrees Celsius) and combusts around 451 degrees F (233 degrees Celsius).     The materials used to keep the temperatures down are materials which do not transfer heat, like metals do.    This is why materials like plaster of Paris, Gypsum and various types of mortar are used.     Most manufacturers have their own particular recipes for their insulation, though materials are similar.     The sheet steel is used to house the insulation and not as a heat barrier.

Metals are basically conductors of heat and not insulators from heat.

Hope this helps,

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)