Locksmithing/Keep/Safe wall safe

The dial
The dial  
The safe
The safe  

My father in law passed away and this was his safe. My mother in law would like to be able to use the safe, as it is in the wall in her closet. He left the combination written on the wall as R 62, L 11, R 84. There is no handle. I know the 3x to the right, 2x to the left then turn right and immediately stop on the 3rd without passing it. I also attempted left, right, left with no luck. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

ANSWER: So it would be 3 x right (clockwise) to the first number, go left to the second number twice. Do not worry about passing 0 or other numbers. Then go right to the last number and stop there.

Push in on the upper left corner of the safe and it should pop open.

Dan Terrigno
American Safe & Vault Service
Cleveland, OH

QUESTION: I've tried a hundred times. It doesn't work.

He may have written it down backwards. Some people change the order of the numbers to fool anyone trying to open their safe.

Do you feel any "bumps" when turning the dial?

You should feel one when turning left and one when turning right.

Note the two numbers that it bumps at.

The last number of the combination should be right in the middle of them.

When's the last time it was opened?

Do you have a rubber hammer?

When you have all the numbers entered give the door, not the dial, a good couple of whacks.

Then see if the top pushes in.

Dan Terrigno

I can answer questions about commercial locks, card access systems, locksmithing except for cars, safes & safe opening, video surveillance and master key systems

35 years as a locksmith, security system designer and installer, trouble shooting and repair of all manner of security related equipment

Associated Locksmiths of America, Safe & Vault Technicians Association

Attended Miami University, Kent State University, continuing education through the Associated Locksmiths of American

Certified Master Locksmith. Certified ALOA instructor.

Numerous Fortune 500 companies, DOD, and other governmental agencies