Locksmithing/Unable to open safe

There are two serial  numbers on my safe.
# EL 82012
# KS 156833
I went to open my safe yesterday and the 6 on the digital keypad did not chirp when I pushed it.  The safe did not open so I replaced the battery.  The safe will not open.  Do I need to replace the keypad?

Hi Donna,

if the #6 button is not working, then you may need to change out the key pad.

The EL 82012 is the lock serial number, and the KS 156833 is the safe serial number.

The only thing that concerns me is how old your lock is.    EL 82012 is a really old serial number.   AMSEC is currently over EL 1,000,000   

My recommendation if you do get it open, would be to have both the lock and key pad changed out with a much newer unit.

Yes, just like cellular phones, electronic locks don't last forever.

I just contacted the factory.   The lock they have listed for your safe (installed by the factory) was a Kaba 50VN10.   Audicon series lock, basic series, with vertical key pad and a standard square bolt.    The safe should be a BWB3020FL, manufactured in April of 2001.

I do have some key pads that may work for or provide you with the parts to make your key pad work, however I will want to see a photo of your key pad, to ensure we are talking about the same item, and as disassembly of both key pads is necessary to try to get yours operational, there will be no warranty on the parts I send you.     If it is the Audicon key pad, cost is going to be about $150 plus shipping, but as mentioned I will want to see a photo of your lock to ensure I send the correct item.

send photos of it to me at:    andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:   If you aren't mechanically and electronically inclined, I would recommend your contacting a local safe company to have their trained safe technician change out the button portion of the lock.    As mentioned this WILL require key pad disassembly.

Second recommendation.    even if you get it operational, as old as it is, I would recommend having the complete lock and key pad changed out to a newer lock.

Hope this helps,  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)