Locksmithing/Hall's Safe/ Vault door

Inside of door
Inside of door  

bank vault door
bank vault door  
Andy, I found an old building that had burned to the ground 25 years ago. The only thing left was the 15'x15' brick  vault room with a Halls Safe & Lock Co. door still intact.
I was able to remove the door and frame- What a prize!
Serial # on the Handle- 118726, inside on the lock #121027. Story has it the building was building in 1890, any way to date the door from the serial#?
The only part missing is the mechanism linking the lock to the flat bar that is hooked to the handle. I assume there are no longer parts so I am looking to find a picture/ schematic so I know how to recreate this part. Any thoughts?

Thank you for any help you can send my way.

Hi Gary,

Very cool find.

I'm assuming that it is a "Hall's Safe & Lock Company" door and NOT a "Hall's Safe Company" door.

While this was the same family, they were TWO very different companies, with different dates of operation.   The 1890 date would be pretty close as Hall's Safe & lock was only in business until 1892, and the serial number is one of the older ones, so it would be late 1880's or early 1890's.

You are correct - regardless of which company made the door, parts have not been available for at least 120 years (HSLC) and over 90 years (HSC).

Send me some better photos of the door and especially the lock and bolt work, and I'll look through some of my old photos to see what I can come up with to help you.   I've got some pretty good photos of vault door #88262 & 80770.    It shows the bolt work and the art work on the front.

Unfortunately, this site is not really photo friendly so I will need you to send any photos directly to me, and I can respond directly to your email.

Send the pics to me at:  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)