Locksmithing/Old mosler safe

Question
Safe
Safe  
I have an old safe I am trying to get into it is a mosler serial # 194163 is there anything you can tell me about this safe that could help me I know nothing about this safe

Answer
Hi Dean,

This does not appear to be a safe, it appears to be a walk in vault door, possibly a simple plate door, with a vestibule.

With a serial number of 194163 the door would have been manufactured between 1905-1910.

The lock that I would expect to find on this door would possibly be the Moser 5H series, gear drive, friction fence lock.   It may have three or four wheels, which means a potential of 1,000,000 to 100,000,000 possible combinations.

Depending on the lock (wheel pack) it could take you from 5.5 to 530 years, testing 500 combinations every day, to test them all.

If you don't have the combination, then I would recommend that you contact a local safe company to have them open the safe door for you.   NOTE:   I never recommend locksmiths as most generally do not have any training, limited knowledge and no tools, meaning that opening the door can result in a lot of unnecessary damage and/or exorbant fees.    Cost to open AND repair the door, without damaging the lock and/or dial should be around $350 to $500 plus any parts, however as parts are not available for replacements, damage should not be an option.

While the lock on this door can be manipulated by a trained safe tech, manipulation is never guaranteed method, and/or you may not have anyone in your area who is actually trained in this method.    Drilling when done correctly, will not damage the door or the lock.   The usually single, very small hole (less tan 1/4") can be easily repaired.

Check your local yellow pages under safes & vaults for a local safe company.   If you don't have any, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know and/or recommend in your area.

Hope this helps,  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)