Locksmithing/replace or re-key baldwin exterior lock

QUESTION: I have several exterior doors, each with 2 Baldwin locks, 1 single cylinder and 1 double cylinder, all installed professionally about 12 years old and all keyed the same. I now have a temporary need to change the lock on a basement apartment door to allow a visitor to lock with a unique key without giving out the "master" key which fits all house doors. My plan is to change the single cylinder lock on that door, either by rekeying it or replacing it with a suitable lock temporarily.

I live far from a small town and farther from a professional locksmith. Although I have only this one small task, the trip cost is very high and the wait time is too long, as my visitor will arrive this week.
First question: I hoped to take the single cylinder lock off the door and couldn't figure out how, so that brought me to this site and your excellent instructions. However, now I have a concern about removing and replacing the lock without damaging it. It matches all the house's door hardware and I don't think they make that style anymore. I am very inexperienced with DIY projects involving tools. Can you give me tips on how not to screw this up?  
Second question: Is there a simpler or more appropriate solution that I have not thought of? Thanks!

ANSWER: Hello Carolyn,

Without some reference to the model or how the locks are installed I can't help.  Can you provide any photos? Are there not any exposed screws? Are you removing it to have it rekeyed or replaced? Does it need to also work with your "master" key?

If you can respond with additional information I should be able to help.

QUESTION: Thanks James. Hope you can tell something from the photos. I can't find a model number.

The little screw on the lever holds the lever in place. Loosen the screw and pull the lever off. Now pry off the trim plate that's against the door face (the rose that sits behind the lever). Under the rose are the mounting screws. Remove the screws and pull off the inside assembly then the outside. Remove the 2 screws on the door edge and slide the latch out.

You can now install a replacement lock or have that one rekeyed then reinstall it.

I do not answer Safe or automotive questions. Period. I am knowledgeable in almost every area of Locksmithing. This includes locks, keys, lost keys, residential and commercial lockouts, rekeying, masterkeying, high security locks, access control, electric locks, security cameras and home safety. I have been running an online business since 2004 where I sell all types of lock and security hardware to everyone from apartment renters to business owners to the US government. Before that I started a locksmith service in 1999. I deal with many types of security equipment including high security safe locks, heavy duty padlocks, exit devices, biometric readers, electric strikes, magnetic locks, full surface hinges and I only sell what I personally stand behind 100%. The online business has given me a more in-depth look at the locksmithing industry, helping me to learn more about each and every product that I offer, as well as products I don't have but end up finding for customers to solve any issues they have with security or door hardware.

Please don't submit any automotive or safe questions as these aren't areas that I can help in.

I have been Locksmithing since 1999 and own my own Locksmithing business. I have many years of hands-on experience through the many services I have performed for my customers. I've run my business the way I wanted, treating everyone as I would like to be treated and knowing that any customer could be my last if I didn't perform my locksmithing duties as I had promised.

I have a diploma in Masterkeying, Advanced Locksmithing & Locksmithing from Foley-Belsaw.

US government, colleges, schools, city and state governments, large and small corporations, home owners.