Locksmithing/S&G electronic lock

My safe won't open.

It has a Sargent & Greenleaf e-lock on it. I presume it is a 6120 (has a green band on the ribbon cable.

Without pushing any buttons the lock continuously beeps 3 times every 3.6 seconds and does not stop. Ever. When any key is pressed it does NOT beep or flash it just keeps on doing its 3 beep cycle. I have replaced the keypad and the cycle continues. I have let it beep for 3hrs and it never stopped. There is no viable wear on the ribbon cable. There is no time delay set on the lock either.

I can't find anything in S&G trouble shooting guide that even mentions a condition like this.

What is the cause and remedy?

Thanks in advance to the quick response.

Hi JW,

If it has a "green band" on the ribbon cable it isn't a 6120 - those have a red band.   You possibly have a ZO2 rotary bolt lock.

I checked my trouble shooting guides and operation manuals for these locks and couldn't find any thing that lists a condition like this either, which would lead me to believe that you have a short some where in the system, possibly in the cable or in the lock circuit board.

I'll have to check some more items tomorrow - you might email me directly at:   andy@securitysafeusa.com   tomorrow to remind me to look.

Sorry I've got no real answer at this time, but I don't recall seeing this problem before.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)