Locksmithing/Safe will not lock

Question
When I close the safe door, the latch handle will not completely close down.
( the safe door closes tight, the door latch will not close. nothing is blocking the door. The latch opens and closes when door is open.)

Answer
Paul,

how does the saying go?     "If I had a nickel for every time I've heard this story, and something WAS blocking the door, I'd be rich"!

Step One:

Operate the bolt work with the door open.    

If everything functions correctly, then chances are SOMETHING is blocking the door.    It may be something around the edge of the door or the door frame, it may be something that has fallen or become lodged in one of the bolt holes, it may be something inside of the safe, it may be a shelf that is out slightly.

Step Two:

If the bolt work appears to be operating correctly (door open), then empty EVERY THING out of the safe one item at a time until you find the offending culprit!

If you clean the safe out and it STILL won't close and lock correctly, then you may have a hinge issue, which isn't allowing the door to close correctly.

At this point you may need to have it looked at by a trained safe technician.

Note:   With the exception of our company, there are VERY FEW companies in the country that repair hinges.   Most will simply sell you a new safe.

Hope this helps, its about the best I can do without seeing the safe - hands on!  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)