Locksmithing/Can't get my Bumil SD 102 Safe Open

I've got a Bumil SD 102 safe that comes with a key and dial combination that I bought since 2012. I always use the key to open it and I've never fiddled with the dial.

I've not used it since 2013 and moved it to storage. Now I want to use it and the key ain't budging and the safe manual is locked inside the safe.

I'd appreciate if you can give me a default combination (since i never set one from inception) to open it or any other suggestions you might have.

Hi Bryan,

If you have a Bumil with a mechanical dial, and the key lock, BOTH are required to open the safe.    Chances are someone spun the dial off at some point.

As far as a "Default" combination - there is no such thing.

Ever safe is shipped from the factory with a unique combination for that safe.    Generally the importer of the safe should have records of their safes - if they keep them.    So your first course of action would be to contact the company you purchased the safe from.

If they are not available, or don't have the records then you will have to contact the factory, however they generally do NOT give out combinations without some proof of ownership.    They have no idea who you are or what your relationship to the safe is and may not help you.

You can email them at:      or   

If they can't help you with the original combination, then you will need a safe tech from a local safe company to either contact Bumil, or to open the safe for you.

Sorry there isn't a better answer.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)