Locksmithing/Baldwin door knob removal

Door knob
Door knob  
I have a 1997 Baldwin door knob set between my garage and house (looks like the discontinued 5025 knob). Neither side locks since there is a dead bolt in the door. Several months ago, I noticed that the knob on the inside developed some 'play' in it. This was accompanied by sticking of the latch assembly so that the interior knob could be rotated a quarter of a turn but the latch didn't move. This was, and still is, intermittent. There is no problem with the garage side knob. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to disassemble the knob and neither does my local locksmith (without seeing the thing in the door.). There is no slot, set screw, hex nut opening, etc. on either the shaft (?shank) or the rosette. I thought the rosette might be screwed on, but it doesn't move easily so I would need to use a pipe wrench to really apply torque. Have you ever heard of this before and, if so, do you have any ideas how I can get the knob off? Thanks.

Hello Scott,

According to what I've found, there should be a set screw on one of the knobs near the rose. You cannot remove the rose without first removing the knob - on the same side of the door.

This PDF will show what I mean:

Like your local locksmith, it's difficult to determine how it's installed without seeing the whole thing. Are you certain it's a Baldwin and not Emtek or Rocky Mountain Hardware as they are all very similar? Of course even those have some type of set screw.

Is there a hole on either rose? Some locks, very few but some, have a hole in the rose. Using a spanner wrench (that's included with the new lock) you unscrew the rose until you can get to some type of retainer to remove the knob. Generally locks are manufactured so that one side, generally the non-keyed side, has the hole or set screw to release the inside knob or lever then the rose is removed and the rest is slid out of the outside face of the door. With a passage knob or lever it's hard to know how it was installed so you have to look at both sides.

If you can provide photos of both knobs but the latch side of them, it may help.

I do not answer Safe or automotive questions. Period. I am knowledgeable in almost every area of Locksmithing. This includes locks, keys, lost keys, residential and commercial lockouts, rekeying, masterkeying, high security locks, access control, electric locks, security cameras and home safety. I have been running an online business since 2004 where I sell all types of lock and security hardware to everyone from apartment renters to business owners to the US government. Before that I started a locksmith service in 1999. I deal with many types of security equipment including high security safe locks, heavy duty padlocks, exit devices, biometric readers, electric strikes, magnetic locks, full surface hinges and I only sell what I personally stand behind 100%. The online business has given me a more in-depth look at the locksmithing industry, helping me to learn more about each and every product that I offer, as well as products I don't have but end up finding for customers to solve any issues they have with security or door hardware.

Please don't submit any automotive or safe questions as these aren't areas that I can help in.

I have been Locksmithing since 1999 and own my own Locksmithing business. I have many years of hands-on experience through the many services I have performed for my customers. I've run my business the way I wanted, treating everyone as I would like to be treated and knowing that any customer could be my last if I didn't perform my locksmithing duties as I had promised.

I have a diploma in Masterkeying, Advanced Locksmithing & Locksmithing from Foley-Belsaw.

US government, colleges, schools, city and state governments, large and small corporations, home owners.