Locksmithing/Cary Safe Locksmithing

Question
Andy,

I am aware that Cary safes may have factory default combinations.   As I have a safe that is locked and combo unknown starts at serial 177000, what am I working with?  Do you have any other combos than:
40-60-35
50-86-32
56-13-36
10-60-35
25-50-25
50-0-50
50-25-50
25-50-75
10-20-30
20-40-60
15-25-35
0-25-0

Is this even a three numbered combination safe? My father has one that is 4 number sequence.  Any help would be appreciated!!

Answer
Hi Andrew,

First I need to make sure that we are talking about the same company - which would be the CARY Safe Company - Buffalo, NY.
And NOT the "GARY Safe Company" City of Industry, CA.

These are two VERY different companies

I'm not sure where you came up with the info that Cary safes may have had a "DEFAULT" combo, and/or where you came up with the listing of combinations that you provided.

I have more info on the Cary Safe Company than anyone and I can tell you that there is no such thing as a "DEFAULT" combo, and I've never seen the listing you have.

Every safe had its own individual and unique combination.

I'm also not sure if you are asking about a specific serial number or a "starting with" serial number, so I'm not sure how to answer the "what am I working with?" question.

If you have a specific safe and serial number, lets just deal with that.    If you are looking for a listing of locks used by the Cary Safe Company, and approximate serial number listings that the locks were used on - again, I possibly have the most comprehensive listing as I have been tracking every Cary safe that I've come across during the past 8 years.    (sorry I wasn't as interested in the listing prior to that.)

For the safe serial number 177,000 - the lock that I would expect to find on this safe would be a Yale M-16 series lock.    This was the "updated" Yale Y-6 lock, though it only had three, hand change wheels, and it included an internal relock trigger.    This lock was capable of 1,000,000 potential test combinations.

As Cary only built around 207,000 safes, you can easily see that even if EVERY safe had its own, individual, unique combination, they would still have over 750,000 UNUSED combinations.   This is why they didn't use a "standard" or "default" combination.

As I do have questions concerning the safe you are actually dealing with, perhaps having photos WILL get us on the same page.

You can send any photos or other info directly to me at:    andy@securitysafeusa.com  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)