Locksmithing/chubb safe

chubb safe
chubb safe  
chubb safe
chubb safe  
I recently acquired a chubb safe which was locked closed. the dimensions are 42" high, 30" wide and 30" deep. The only markings I have found on the outside of the safe is the Chubb name plate. I would like to try and find out what type of safe it is, the rating and what type of combo lock it has. whether it is a group 1 or 2. S&G 6700 series or different. and most importantly how much it might weigh. I have to pick this safe up this week and not sure if my truck can handle the payload. I did some research online and found a safe the was exact in dimensions, same hinges and handle. the exception was the color which was grey and dark green and the dial which was a bronze color. it was listed as a "Chubb-Mosler-Taylor Category 4 ABP" Any ideas on my safe would be greatly appreciated.

ANSWER: Hi William,

Sorry, I'm not going to be able to fully answer your question, but based on the photos (which aren't very good - not your fault, this site isn't really photo friendly).   The safe appears to be a rated burglary resistive container.

As far as your researching on line to find a similar safe - sorry, but possibly 99% of the safes that owners have provided info about based on their online searching, is usually wrong.    Just be cause two safes look similar, doesn't mean that they are the "SAME".   One might be a fire resistive container - only, while the other might be a burglary resistive container.

As far as answering your questions - most of them require hands on diagnostics not online guessing!

At this point, I hope that you didn't actually pay for the container, because if it is a rated container, you could potentially be paying thousands of dollars to have it opened and repaired.   As for it having stuff inside to make it worth your while - hopefully you collect rubber bands and paper clips, because people don't abandon safes with stuff left inside.

Based on the photos that you have included, looking at the basic construction and the hinges, this could easily be a Chubb Citadel, high security safe.   If it is a TL-30 or higher rated safe, it would most likely have a group 1 lock on it.    If it is a series 8500 lock, after turning the dial to "0", it should push in and spring out, when released.

If it is a TL-30 rated or higher safe, then based on the size, it could easily be in the 3000 to 5000 lbs range.    Heavy safes like this require SPECIAL equipment to move them safely.

I'm not sure what circumstances you are acquiring the safe under, however I would assume that the previous owner would have SOME information other than it is a "Chubb safe".

Sorry I can't be of more help, but you haven't given me a lot to work from.

chubb safe
chubb safe  

chubb safe
chubb safe  
Really appreciate your quick response. I picked up this safe relatively cheap from a business that cleans out old factories and then sells the stuff. They have no info on the safe except to say it was a heavy bugger. They said it weighed 2000-3000lbs. Due to the size I wasn't so sure, but I guess it could weigh as much as that. I am not too concerned about finding anything inside of it. The fact is I like to manipulate locks and open safes. It is just a hobby of mine. If I manage to open the safe without damaging it I would use it for keeping some of my guns or just sell it. I know that if it is drilled or damaged in anyway the contents are no longer insurable. I included a couple of more photos I had which might help. I will check the dial when I get the safe home. I don't seem to remember it pushing in. I only spun it to make sure the drive cam was picking up the wheels. Thanks again for the info you have already provided.

Hi Bill,

As I'm pretty sure this is the TL-30 safe, the weight doesn't surprise me at all.

Chances are the lock on this safe is an S&G 8500 series lock, so if you ARE proficient in manipulating locks, you will know the problems you are going to have with this lock.    Good luck with this one.     If it isn't an 8500 series lock, then it may have been replaced.

As far as your assumption about the safe being ruined or damaged if drilled, I'm not sure where you came up with this info.    If it is done correctly, it would have no bearing on the insurability of the safe - HOWEVER, that being said - I have no control over the nut jobs working at insurance companies any more than some of the nut jobs who tout global warming without actually having any scientific knowledge.     If done correctly, the safe is repaired to meet or exceed factory standards.
bottom line if you have some drill it and they ruin the safe, then chances are you shouldn't have hired them in the first place.    It really pays to do your homework and not listen to people who don't know what they are talking about.

Assuming that your guns are "short", this would make one heck of a gun safe.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)