Locksmithing/Diebold 180-32 & knob worn out

I have an old round door Diebold safe that I'm trying to restore for personal use in my home. It is Approx 24"x 24"x 32"high and very heavy.
Its old, ugly, and of low value, so I'm doing all the work myself.
It has a Diebold 180-32 lock on it that's pretty worn and knob turns hard and scrapes. Their are two screws that hold down a strap for re-locker and one is stripped out in the aluminum back also. I would like to replace or repair this lock assembly.
I've never disassembled a safe lock before but it looks pretty simple to work on. Looks like I need to pull out a U shaped tad/key on end of shaft and unscrew plastic disk to get knob out to grease or re-bush knob at the very least.  

1. Is their a higher quality, modern mechanical replacement for this lock/knob that I could install?

2. Owners/service manual for the lock assembly to help in disassembling it so I don't break anything?

3. What change key does it need? I was unable to find one specifically for this on eBay. Will a S&G 6700 key fit if I file it a little?

Again, I will be doing all work myself as the safe isn't really worth anything and I enjoy projects like this.

Thanks - Jeff

Hi Jeff,

These locks haven't been available for years.   You can use one of the current mechanical locks to take the place of your lock.

Second problem - many of these Diebold locks used a 1/4" dial spindle.    These aren't available and only Diebold used them.    Current locks use a 5/16" spindle.    If the hole through the door is drilled for the 1/4" spindle, then it would have to be redrilled to accommodate the bigger spindle.    The hard plate (barrier material) is very drill resistant, so this isn't an easy task in many cases.

As far as "owners / service manuals"   there is no such thing.    Safes really aren't that difficult to operate, and it was expected that the end user would be given instructions when the safe was originally delivered, and the combination set for the first time.

A change key and instructions are available, though no longer from Diebold - cost is $50 to $75 (depends on current price from source), plus shipping & handling.    I doubt you will find this on EBay.     The standard 6700 series change key is not made to work with this lock.

As for the stripped out hole,   You may be able to use some metal epoxy repair to restore the threads for the relock hold back strap.    If not, you can possibly modify it to work slightly differently or remove it all together.    You can drill and tap the back cover of the lock to give you a mounting point for the strap, but you need to ensure that the screw does not extend into the lock causing operational problems.

Hope this helps somewhat.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)