Locksmithing/ilcan unican floor safe

Question
Have a ilcan unican floor safe that I cannot open. The lid has been run over but was still working okay until recently & now Icannot get it to open. I have the combination & know how many turns but won't open up. WEould love some advice on it please.

Tricia

Answer
Hi Tricia,

Sorry, but "no", you don't have an Ilco Unican floor safe.    While Ilco Unican "BRIEFLY" made safe locks, they did NOT make safes.    Various companies USED these locks on their safes.

"The lid has been run over" sounds a bit ominous - so I would have to believe that there may have been some damage, though it may not have been obvious to you.    Mechanical items like locks don't work "okay" and then simply stop working.   They have a problem which gets continuously worse UNTIL it stops working.

In general, my BASIC service advice is as follows:

1.  Annual maintenance, inspection and resetting of the combination for commercial use.

2.  Maintenance, inspection and resetting of the combination EVERY three to five years for residential use (light use)

3.  Caveat to the above schedules - or as SOON as a problem is noted or something happens to the safe or lock!

As you didn't mention how long you have had the container, I have to assume that it has NOT had any type of regular maintenance done and as you have indicated - it was recently "run over".    So it appears that it is long overdue for service!

The problem with the lock may be minor or it may be serious, in either case, you are pretty much at the point where you need a trained safe technician or safe engineer, to look at it.    If it is something minor, they should be able to get it open, serviced and back in business relatively easily.
If it is something more serious, or if a portion of the lock is broken, then it may have to be drilled to open it up.    Drilling if done correctly WILL NOT ruin the safe.   The usually small hole(s) can be easily repaired and if the lock can't be repaired, it can be replaced.    

As the Ilco-Unican Locks have not been made for around 20 plus years, if there is a problem with it - have them put a new, current model lock in, so you don't have future problems.

So pretty much at this time - this is going to be a hands on, diagnostics, opening and repair for your safe.    Check your local phone book to see what safe companies are available.

The only company that I'm familiar with in Australia would be the Ratner Safe Company in Thomastown, Victoria, AU.     
You can call them at:    03-9465-7833

They may know of someone in Queensland to refer you to.

The only company I know of in Queensland - though I'm not familiar enough with them to recommend them is:
Queensland Safe Company
16 Boothby Street
Kedron, QLD   4031

07-3350-2077

They do list that they have service technicians and can open safes, though you may want to contact them to discuss your safe.

Hope this helps,  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)