Locksmithing/meilink safe

how do I change the combo on a meilink combination safe model 9034

Hi Mark,

Combination changing is prevalent on the lock and not the safe model.

In general, I NEVER recommend combination changing as a DIY project for the same reason that I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work.   Lack of training, knowledge and/or proper tools CAN result in a very expensive lockout.

Option 1:    The doors are removable on many safes.   Open the door and lift it off the hinges.    Take the door to your local safe company to have them reset or change the combination.   Their service tech can ensure that the lock has been serviced properly and the combination reset or changed correctly, to ensure proper operation.

Option 2:    Have the safe tech come to your home or business to change the combination.   Same thing - they should ensure that the lock has been serviced and reset correctly to ensure proper operation.

Generally after having the lock serviced and reset, it should have at least a 90 day service warranty (or guarantee).

Option 3:    would be as a DIY project.    Again, I don't recommend this.

First item is that we need to actually ID what lock that you have installed.    It doesn't do any good to provide you with instructions and tools for a LaGard lock if you have a Sargent & Greenleaf lock.

After identifying the lock on your safe, I have a "hold harmless form" which we require you to sign.   This form basically indicates that YOU assume ALL responsibility for the use or mis-use of the tools and/or interpretation of the instructions.   If you make a mistake and accidently lock the safe up - any costs associated with opening and/or repairing the safe are your responsibility.

If you would still like to proceed, I will need to see what lock is installed, and you will need to send a request directly to my email:    andy@securitysafeusa.com    

I will send the hold harmless form for your signature.    There may be some costs associated with some instructions and tools, but without knowing what lock you are dealing with, I can't give you an idea on that at this time.

Bottom line - your best bet and cheapest option would be Option #1, with #2 as a close second.    While option #3 may seem like a good deal, you could easily be looking at around $350 to $500 to have the safe opened and repaired if you make a mistake.

Hope this helps out.    Let me know if you need more help.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)