Locksmithing/Replace Sargent R6700 with Electronic

Bought new house. Safe (Hayman - Magna Vault MV5-2016 is open, and I already took out (completely) the Sargent Greenleaf R6700 combination lock. I need to know which electronic digital lock will fit perfect in place of the R6700 in that safe.  Thanks.

Hi Isaac,

Pretty much ALL of them will, however there are a lot of differences in digital locks, and more importantly, some of them are cheaply made, some of them do NOT have a very good track record of reliability, and some are very good.

In the long run, mechanical locks are much more reliable though they do require regular maintenance to stay consistent, and to last a long time.   Also, there is that - dial, dial, dial, whoops made a mistake, start over - thing!

Most digital locks tend to be easier to use, quicker opening, and have a LOT of features available - though as with anything, the more features you want, the more expensive it will be.

Prices can easily run from a low of about $165 to a high of around $2000, with features including things like single, multiple users or dual custody, audit trails, time lock and time delay, and of course duress alarms.

Another option which is a "GREAT" feature, is redundant capability.   This lock gives you both the ease of use, and features of a digital lock, but also has the reliability of a mechanical lock.   So "IF" the lock is kept in good working condition, and "IF" you don't misplace the combination for the mechanical lock, "IF" you ever have a failure of the digital lock, you will still be able to open your safe.

While some of the digital locks are pretty much plug and play, and you can probably install them yourself, I have to warn you that ALL of the manufacturers have a clause built into their warranties, stating that if it is installed by anyone else than a trained or authorized service technician, the warranty may be voided.   As most of these locks should have no problem outlasting the warranty period any way, I wouldn't worry to much about this if you plan on making this a DIY project.     Its just part of my job to point it out.

So with all this being said - the most important question is WHAT features are you looking for???

If you don't need anything but a code to open it up, then I would recommend the LaGard Basic II.    These locks are relatively problem free and are easy to use and install.   Cost is about $165 to $175 depending on the key pad finish.

Next up would be AMSEC's ESL-10 series.    These locks are easier to install, though the operation instructions can be a little confusing.   Cost is around $230.   These locks have
several different key pad finishes available also.

Other manufacturers include LaGard, AMSEC, Kaba-Mas, Sargent & Greenleaf, Securam and LP Locks.    There are other makers out there as well, but these tend to be the top line digital lock makers.    All of their locks WILL retrofit over the S&G 6700 series lock foot print.

Some of the locks, WILL require having a safe technician install them.   They are NOT going to be a DIY project.   Some of the locks do have a higher failure rate than others - I'm not going to go into that here, as this would be a HIGHLY controversial topic, as many companies and/or safe techs have their own personal opinion about these locks.

So as you can see, while the majority of the digital locks WILL retrofit on your safe, there are a lot of other factors to consider.    I recommend that you check out some of the websites for the manufacturers so that you can determine what you might want on your safe.   You might also want to stop by a local safe company to see what they have on display that you can actually "touch" to see how you feel about them.

Hope this helps.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)