Locksmithing/SG Combo Lock on a Canon Gun Safe

QUESTION: I am having problems with my SG Combo Lock on a Canon American Eagle Gun Safe, it just beeps, 3 short beeps couple seconds pause and 3 short beeps again continuous never stops unless I remove the battery, I thought the battery was going bad so I replaced it with a new Duracell battery date Dec 2019 I tried several differnt batteries thinking I had a bad one with the same outcome, 1 beep at battery change them a couple of seconds pause and right back to 3 beeps pause 3 beeps pause.  When you attempt to enter the combo code on the key pad there is no beeps when you push the buttons just the continuos 3 beeps pause 3 beeps pause.  I have contacted Canon they told me it sounds like I have a short and they are sending me a new lock but they said getting the safe open is on my dime and that I should call a locksmith but I would be responsible.  Any idea's

Usually if the lock "beeps" three times when you enter your code, indicates that it is in a "time delay" mode.     Wait for the time delay to expire.

If it isn't in time delay, or you have waited a sufficient time, and it still does it, then it may be a short in either the key pad or the lock circuit board.

If it is the key pad, changing it out with the new key pad (when it arrives) may open the safe.    If it is the lock circuit board, then you will need a safe technician.

As far as the "new batteries" - regardless of what the pack says (Dec 2019) - doesn't guarantee that you are getting a fresh battery.    Always use good quality "ALKALINE ONLY" (Duracell or Energizer), and check them with a multi-meter to ensure that they are at least 9+ vdc.

As far as using a "locksmith" to open your safe - I wouldn't recommend it.    You need a "SAFE TECHNICIAN" from a local safe company.    Generally, locksmiths don't have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes, and they can make the problem MUCH, MUCH worse.

Check your yellow pages under safes & vaults for a local company.    If you don't have one, either check with Cannon to see if they have a local authorized safe company, or let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know in your area.

Hope this helps,

QUESTION: Thanks the beeping starts as soon as I put in the battery, I put the battery in it beeps 1 time, then about a 2 second pause then 3 beeps pause and three beeps pause then 3 beeps and continues as long as the battery is installed, if I try to enter the combination there is no beep when i push on the key pad as it use to and it will not take the combination.

Hi Don,

either you have a bad key pad, or a shorted lock.    When you get the new key pad from Cannon, swap it out and see if that takes care of the problem.

If not then contact a local safe company to open the safe and replace the lock.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)