Locksmithing/Can't open internal safe in old HHM safe

Question
Exterior
Exterior  

Interior
Interior  
I have an old 48" x 28" x 28" Herring Hall Marvin safe with an exterior Yale lock which I can open.  There is a small interior safe which I have the numbers for but the handle & dial won't budge so I cannot try to open it. Does it just need WD40 or what?  I am also interested in a value.  The only info I have is UL inspected safe, Class B Fire, Class T-20 Burglary, No. 73661. I have found no reference for the serial no. Pictures attached. Thanks so much.

Answer
Hi Jan,

The Class B Fire & Class T-20 Burglary (Tamper Resistant) is for the exterior safe.   The interior chest is an actual burglary chest.

WD-40 is not a lubricant, and while it works as a penetrant, I don't recommend using it.   Without actually identifying WHAT the problem is.

Unfortunately mechanical problems generally require "hands on" diagnostics and problem solving.   My first thoughts based on your description of the problem is that you have jammed the door some how, possibly something inside the safe has gotten caught in the edge of the door.

You didn't indicate whether or not you have ever had the door open, and when was the last time it was opened.
Did you have any issues closing it?

As far as the "value" of the container at this point - it is a negative value - that being the cost to have the interior chest opened and repaired.

If you can't open the chest without causing any damage, then I would recommend your contacting a safe technician from a local safe company.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)