Locksmithing/change code

we just bought a champion gun safe Model Victory 35 from a privete party and would like to change the code. we did like the paper says six zero's then the existing code then put r code in twice and it don't work. if u can help? thank you.

Hi Linda,

Hopefully, you were following the instructions when it listed "ONLY Change the combination with the door locked open"!!!   The reason being, if you make a mistake you aren't locked out of the safe, and if necessary, it is much easier for a safe technician to recover the code for the lock and get you operational.
If you did it with the door locked up AND have lost the code, then it may have to be drilled, which including the new lock could cost you around $700 plus!!!!

As you didn't indicate who the lock maker is (the safe maker and model has no bearing on the lock), based on your description, I'm assuming that you have a LaGard lock.    Part of working with digital locks is to listen to them to ensure they are operating correctly.

In the case of a LaGard lock, we are listening for "TWO" beeps at the end of each good sequence.    So when you enter your combination correctly, you will hear ONE beep for each button of your code that you press - PLUS - ONE additional beep if it was a correct sequence.   So for instance if your code is 123456 - when you press the 6 button, you will hear one beep for the button and one additional beep to indicate it was accepted correctly.

If you hear one beep for the #6 button, and then "TWO" additional beeps, this means that either the code is incorrect or that the lock is NOT accepting what you are doing.

Note:   The lock will give you FOUR wrong attempts before it locks you out in a FIVE minute penalty period.    After the first penalty period, you only get TWO additional tries before it locks you out for another FIVE minutes.  After using a GOOD code, the lock will reset to give you the four wrong tries again.
If you can't enter a code, or the key pad sees dead - watch the small red LED light, count 10 seconds.   If the light flashes once every 10 seconds, you are in penalty, wait at least 5 minutes and then count 10 seconds again to see I the light flashes.

When changing the combination on your lock we are looking for the following "BEEPS"

000000 beep-beep
123456 beep-beep     old code
654321 beep-beep     new code
654321 beep-beep     new code for verification

Now test the new code to see if it will unlock the lock.
654321 beep-beep  - turn handle to open or retract the bolt work.

If you are getting the two beeps, but the lock is not unlocking, chances are the batteries are low.   Remove the key pad and replace the either one or two 9vdc ALKALINE ONLY batteries with good quality batteries - Energizer or Duracell are recommended.

If at any time you get the three beep signal  (one for the last button plus two additional)

123456 beep-beep-beep

The lock didn't accept the combination - either you aren't using the correct numbers or you may have a damaged key pad.    If you KNOW FOR SURE the numbers are correct, it may be a key pad issue.    If you "THINK" the numbers are correct, then they probably aren't.

At this point you probably need to have it checked out by a safe technician from a local safe company.

I would test check both combinations to see if one is still good - the old combination before you tried to change it and the new one you think you changed it to.   If either give you the "GOOD" two beep signal, then you are OK.    If they don't, then pull out your phone book and look under safes & vaults for a nearby company.

You can also contact the safe manufacturer to see if they can help and/or if they have a nearby service company that they would recommend.  

Champion Safe Company
2055 S. Tracy Hall Parkway
Provo, UT  84606

Hope this helps,

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)