Locksmithing/Commercial Door Knob

Question
Hi Dan, A few weeks ago I was working on a commercial door knob to re-key it. With this type of knob I noticed that when you put the key in the key way and turn it, the whole knob turns and not just the cylinder plug like other locks. I couldn't figure out how to get the knob off to re key it like other locks. I found the catch and pressed it down but it would not press down. I finally gave up. This has been bugging me ever since. Can you tell me what is the secret to getting this type of knob off. It was a standard commercial knob with a SC1 key.
Dave

Answer
Hi Dave. Without knowing the brand/function I can only guess.

The key was not the right key and the lock was unlocked.

I don't know of any commercial knobs where the whole knob turns with the key.

This would also be the reason the retainer would not depress as the tailpiece needs to rotate out of the way in order to depress the retainer.

Sometimes a customer will give you a key "that fits everything" when it doesn't.

When this sort of thing happens, dis-assemble the lock from the back end, remove the cylinder and then check the key.

Dan

Locksmithing

Dan Terrigno