Locksmithing/Herring Hall safe

QUESTION: Our Church has an old Herring hall safe that is open, however, we do not have the combination.  Is there a way to get the combination?  Where can we find the serial number.

Have a blessed day.

ANSWER: Hi Carl,

I'm assuming that you mean that you have a Herring-Hall-Marvin safe.

As HHM has been out of business since 1959ish, unless you have time travel capability, having the serial number and/or being able to contact the factory is going to be rather difficult.    Manufacture's never published any listings of combinations for obvious security and liability reasons, so there are no listings available to consult.

As long as the safe is open, it should be easy for a safe technician from a local safe company to recover or reset it for you.
DO NOT CLOSE and/or lock the safe door until after the combo has been recovered and tested.  locking the safe door could result in a VERY expensive opening fee.

Contact a local safe company to have their trained safe technician check out your safe.   They can also service it to ensure that it is going to operate correctly.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know in your area.

QUESTION: My zip code is 46350.  I am not aware of a local safe company in Laporte.  Help please.

Hi Carl,

Possibly the nearest company that I would recommend would be:

Fink Lock & Safe Co.
2311 N. Western
Chicago, IL   60647

The next nearest would be:

Professional Safe & Lock CO.
414 327 5625          John Soderland
5123 West Howard Avenue
Milwaukee, Wisconsin   53220

While there are possibly some smaller companies between you and these two companies, these are the nearest that I would recommend.

Hope this helps,

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)