Locksmithing/Herring Hall safe

Question
QUESTION: Our Church has an old Herring hall safe that is open, however, we do not have the combination.  Is there a way to get the combination?  Where can we find the serial number.

Have a blessed day.

ANSWER: Hi Carl,

I'm assuming that you mean that you have a Herring-Hall-Marvin safe.

As HHM has been out of business since 1959ish, unless you have time travel capability, having the serial number and/or being able to contact the factory is going to be rather difficult.    Manufacture's never published any listings of combinations for obvious security and liability reasons, so there are no listings available to consult.

As long as the safe is open, it should be easy for a safe technician from a local safe company to recover or reset it for you.
DO NOT CLOSE and/or lock the safe door until after the combo has been recovered and tested.  locking the safe door could result in a VERY expensive opening fee.

Contact a local safe company to have their trained safe technician check out your safe.   They can also service it to ensure that it is going to operate correctly.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know in your area.

QUESTION: My zip code is 46350.  I am not aware of a local safe company in Laporte.  Help please.

Thanks.

Carl

Answer
Hi Carl,

Possibly the nearest company that I would recommend would be:

Fink Lock & Safe Co.
773-486-2030
2311 N. Western
Chicago, IL   60647

The next nearest would be:

Professional Safe & Lock CO.
414 327 5625          John Soderland
5123 West Howard Avenue
Milwaukee, Wisconsin   53220

While there are possibly some smaller companies between you and these two companies, these are the nearest that I would recommend.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)