Locksmithing/Medeco deadbolt rremoval

I need to replace the deadbolt.
I have found the small hole which should require an allen wrench. However, I had read other advice that said you have to push hard into the hole and the casing will snap off. I tried that, and even used a hammer to push really hard, but to no avail.
Then, I saw that sometimes there is an extra spring or casing in the hole before you get to the real part that needs the allen wrench. I think I have wedged that in too hard by my previous efforts to get the casing to snap off.

Any advice??

Hi Amanda. Does this take a key on both sides or just one?

If it is just one, then there is an allen screw holding the inside thumbturn on.

Nothing will snap off, but you have to make sure you have the right size.

Once that is off, you can remove the trim plate that covers the screws that hold the deadbolt on the door.

If it has a key on both sides then there is a little ring around the inside that needs to come off.

Dan Terrigno

I can answer questions about commercial locks, card access systems, locksmithing except for cars, safes & safe opening, video surveillance and master key systems

35 years as a locksmith, security system designer and installer, trouble shooting and repair of all manner of security related equipment

Associated Locksmiths of America, Safe & Vault Technicians Association

Attended Miami University, Kent State University, continuing education through the Associated Locksmiths of American

Certified Master Locksmith. Certified ALOA instructor.

Numerous Fortune 500 companies, DOD, and other governmental agencies