Locksmithing/Meilink Safe - Approximate age

Meilink Safe Inside
Meilink Safe Inside  
Meilink Safe Front
Meilink Safe Front  

Thank you so much for your service!

Can you give an approximate age on a
Meilink Class C safe 40" tall x 25" wide x 20" deep.

I will send some more pictures to your email, if

ANSWER: Hi Kendy,

It appears from the photos that your safe has an SMNA label on the back of the door.   (Safe Manufacturer's National Association).    As SMNA has been out of business since the early 1960's, your safe would have to have been made prior to this.

Based on the style of the safe, your safe would have been made between 1955 to 1964.    As it is over 50 years old, this means that it does not meet ANY current standards for fire resistance, and it is NOT a burglary resistive safe.

I don't recommend ANY overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents.

Hope this helps,

QUESTION: Thanks so much -- I believe you have a list of pictures that need to be sent for a value and you do not give "Ball Park" estimates.  Does this apply to a safe of this age?  The safe is from an old historic department store in nearby Georgetown, Texas, and my boss is hoping to find some kind of value for selling purposes in the local area.  Let me know -- and thanks again!

I don't need to see any more photos for this one.

Basic values are:

Fire Resistive:     $0     Doesn't meet current standards
Burglary:          $0     Is not a burglary resistive safe.
Resale:          $0     Has no commercial or retail value.
Antique/collectible:    $0    Neither Antique or Collectible

While it has no value under the above categories, this doesn't mean that it is "worthless", though I would NOT use it for anything other than general purpose storage for basic fire protection.

Selling value is about $0 to $200 max.

I wouldn't beat someone up over buying it at the max value, as you can buy a current model - though cheaply made safe, of similar size to do the same thing, for between $200 to $400.   So its hard to justify paying top dollar for a 50+ year old fire resistive safe.

hope this helps,

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)