Locksmithing/Mosler safe model B-488 I have the original bill of sale

Question
& sales Brochure for this it cost 532.00 7 30 1974 So you know I'm not a burglar. I took the door off before moving it from our biz to our home when we retired,But I must have been a little to rough on it in moving. So to get under it I laid down some 2 X 4 s & flopped it over, & now after using this safe the combination no longer works. I'm not wanting to sell it I just want to use it, I paid the tow truck guy 100 bucks to haul it home for me, boo-hoo poor me Can you help me ?  I took the safe door to the locksmith here & I think he said it needs a special key to get inside the locking device to try & fix it.

Answer
Bruce,

I'm not sure why you would assume that I would think you are a burglar, as I hear similar stories very often.   

First off though, I would NEVER recommend using a locksmith for safe work as they generally do not have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes.   You need a safe technician from a local safe company.

Second, I have no idea WHAT problem you are trying to describe.    While the lock on the safe may need a special tool to reset or change the combination, I have no idea what special key he is indicating that you need to get INSIDE the locking device????

Without photos so that we are both talking about the same item, I don't think I can be much help here, other than to recommend a local safe company.

I'm not sure where in Missouri you are located, but I do have a couple good companies that I would recommend.

As far as safe technicians available in your area, my first recommendation would be:

Frank Zykam Safe & Vault, LLC
www.zykamsafe.com
636-328-2929
St. Charles, MO  63301          (next door to St. Louis, MO)

you can also try Ray Hearn, but my understanding is that he may be retired now

Hearn Safe & Vault
314-481-2525
607 North Grand Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63103

Give one or both of them a call to see if they can assist you.    If they aren't really close, they may know of someone closer to you.    If you are able to bring the safe door into their shop, the cost would obviously be much cheaper than a field trip.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)