Locksmithing/cannot open safe

Question
safe
safe  
I cannot open the safe and do not know the combination.
It is a hurcules safe t vault and has E562 on dial.
Any suggestions?

Answer
Hi Bruce,

This container was manufactured by Meilink in the 1950's or early 60's.   Hercules is simply a logo Meilink used.   For obvious security and liability reasons, manufacturer's NEVER publish listing of combinations, so they aren't available.

Meilink was acquired by FireKing International around 1990.    While you can contact them to see if they have any of the old records available, in many cases they only keep them for about 10 years.  They charge between $50-$100 for a record search.   You can contact their customer service at:

http://www.fireking.com/safes/service
800-457-2424

your other two options, if they don't have a combination for your container, would be to contact a local safe company to have their safe technician open your container and recover the combination - or to make it a DIY project to try to open it up.

The dialing sequence for the lock that I would expect to find on your container would be:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops - pull door open.

With a 50 number dial, you only have about 125,000 possible combinations to test out.   If you only test every other number, you can narrow that down to about 15,625, which at 500 each day, you could test in abut a month.   Obviously by testing every other number, you are creating gaps that can be from small to large, so it may not unlock even if you are fairly close.

Hope this helps, I've given you a couple different options to work with.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)