Locksmithing/Opening a safe

Question
I have a Gary safe from out of California it is a safe that is i cased in cement. Which I guess they call a floor safe. The top of the safe spins around either way to the left or right while locked. My combonation reads left three times to # rite to times to # then onward to another #  still going rite then  left to # and onward to another # still going left then rite to a # to open. When reached I can feel and hear the dial as if it's ready to open but I can't get it to and beings the top spins how will the top come off unscrewing it or does it just lift off. I've tried everything I know but I can't get it.
Thanks so much for ur input.
Sharon
2146697610

Answer
Hi Sharon,

There are only three reasons that a safe lock will not open, in order, they are:

1.  Incorrect dialing sequence, operator errors,
2.  Incorrect combination, wrong numbers,
3.  mechanical problems.

Generally combinations are passed along the way they are understood, and not necessarily the way the lock actually works.   This appears to be a major part of your problem.   As you didn't actually provide me with your combination, I can't try to "decode" it, but I can tell you there is a whole bunch of "wrong turns" going on in it!

The correct dialing sequence for the majority of the locks used on Gary safes is:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stop,  open safe

Note:  left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.   Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

For instance if your first number is 50, you would turn the dial counter clockwise (left), stopping the fourth time the number 50 arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

If you still can't get it open, using this sequence, and your numbers, then I would recommend your having a safe technician from a local safe company (NOT a locksmith), look at your safe to figure out what is going on.

As far as the door "turning", I would assume that you have a round, lift out type door.   After the combination is dialed correctly, and the lock bolts retracted, the door simply lifts out.

Hope this helps,  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)