Locksmithing/Opening safe with Yale lock

Question
My father recently passed & we've been trying to open the safe with no luck. I've opened in the past as Dad wanted to be sure I could open. I've read your previous posts and tried too many times to count. I'm at the point of hiring a locksmith. Should any trained locksmith be able to open or do I need one specialized in yale locks?

Answer
Lisa,

The answer is both a "YES" and "NO"!

The key point of your question is:   "Should any TRAINED Locksmith" be able to open the safe, yes they should, HOWEVER, the majority of locksmiths have little formal training, and even less safe training.    While this doesn't mean that EVERY locksmith, is little more than a "trained monkey", there isn't much to let you know who is competent and who isn't!    Unfortunately there are not any "STANDARDS" in the industry to guard against untrained persons advertising just as a trained professional would.

My recommendation would be to look for an actual safe company to have their "Trained" safe technician check the safe out.    Generally the majority of safe technicians HAVE had some formal or basic safe training.

This by no means removes YOUR responsibility to query any service technician - regardless of whether they are working on your car (automotive) or on your safe, to determine that you are actually getting what you are paying for!

As to opening your safe, I'm assuming that you actually have the combination for the safe.   If not we are NOT talking about dialing your safe open, we are talking about opening a safe with an unknown combination - apples and oranges!

In general, MOST Yale locks dial RLRL  (three wheel versions), and the sequence would be:

4 times Right to the first number,
3 times Left to the second number,
2 times Right to the third number,
1 time Left - slowly, until the dial stops - should be around 10.

NOTE:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the INDIVIDUAL number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.   For instance, if you first number is 50, you would turn the dial "CLOCKWISE" (right), stopping the FOURTH time the number 50 arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.    After you have dialed a number - forget it, it no longer matters.   Move on to the next number.

If you still can't get it to open or unlock, then you either don't have the correct numbers, or they are not in the correct sequence, or you are making a dialing error.

As you didn't provide the combination, that you are trying to work with, I can't try to decode what you have to ensure you have the correct sequence for the lock on your safe.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)