Locksmithing/operation of LA Gard basic II

I have replaced a Sargent Greenleaf mechanical gun safe lock with an electronic LA Gard Basic II. The installation took a while but is complete except following the instructions to open the lock. The factory 123456 is failing to work. When  I push 1 it causes the red light to flash 10 times as does all the following numbers and it does not open. What am I doing wrong. Thanks Randy

Hi Randy,

As the LaGard Basic II lock is extremely simple to install, my first conclusion is that you may not have installed something correctly.    There are two ports on the back side of the lock, one is for the key pad and the other is for an extra battery pack.   You may have plugged the key pad into the wrong port.

Hopefully you have not closed and locked the door.   Check the back of the lock to ensure that you have plugged the key pad into the correct port.   They are marked ENT and BAT   (ENT stands for entry device - key pad.   

If you have closed and secured the safe door, you may be locked out.    If you have done something incorrectly then the safe may have to be drilled to open the safe.

If the safe door is still open and you are still having problems with the lock, I would suggest you take the lock back to where you got it, to have it tested by their safe technician.

If they can't test it, they can send it back to the factory, or worse case you can send it to me to test.

If you did plug the key pad into the wrong port, you may have shorted the lock out.   Hopefully not.

hope this helps,

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)