Locksmithing/Allied-Gary Safe Rating

Question
Hi there,
Recently aired an older Allied-Gary safe and just looking for some info on it.

Model number is BR-3014-18. Has an AMSEC ELS20 keypad. I do have the combination (I think, I haven't tried it yet).

What is the rating and value of the safe? I assume the keypad is battery operated? How often does it need any sort of maintenance?

I don't see any UL listing, I summer there is no fire reading?

Thank you

Answer
Hi Corey,

If the container does NOT have a UL label, indicating a rating, then it does not have one.   If it does not have a UL label for fire resistance, then it doesn't have any either.   Generally plate steel safes are little more than Dutch ovens!

Based on the model - the "BR" series is the basic burglary resistive model and is considered a NON-Rated container.   The first rated safe would be an ER or TL-15 rating.

Yes the lock is battery operated, turn the key pad slightly counter clockwise and it should remove in your hand.   It will either have a single or dual 9 volt batteries.   I would recommend changing them out if you don't know if they are new.  

While the lock is a sealed unit the bolt work still needs maintenance.   For commercial use, we recommend annual maintenance - which would be "YEARLY".   For residential use, you can do it about every 3-5 years OR, when every you notice a problem.   Putting maintenance off or ignoring problems can and will result in expensive lockouts.

Hope this helps,  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)