Locksmithing/antique safe

Question
QUESTION: I have an antique safe that has "The Standard safe & Lock co. Cincinnati OH. Painted with a beautiful scenery.  The serial number on the ball of the handle is 78067. Have yet to find a lock smith that is able to open it without me leaving them the safe for weeks on end. Is there anyway to open the safe without damaging the actual safe?

ANSWER: Hi Lorretta,

There was no company called "The Standard Safe & Lock Company".

Chances are your is from the "Hall's Safe Company" or possibly its processor company "Hall's Safe & Lock Company", though I will need to see the safe to ID what you actually have.   Both companies used the term "Standard Safe".

As far as having the safe opened - generally Locksmiths don't work on safes.   Locksmiths who are trained to work on safes are called safe technicians.    You need to check your yellow pages under "safes & vaults" for a local company.    If you don't have one, then let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see if I know anyone in your area or that I might recommend.

While manipulation is very possible - you may not have anyone in your area that is trained to open safes this way.   Drilling, when done correctly WILL NOT damage your safe, and the usually small hole (1/4" or smaller) hole can be easily repaired, and shouldn't damage the safe or lock at all.

Total time for a trained safe tech to open AND repair the safe shouldn't take longer than 1 to 2 hours.    Anyone who indicates they need it for "days" probably doesn't have any idea what they are doing and should probably be avoided.

hope this helps

QUESTION: Thank you so much for your quick response. I will be sure to send a picture of the safe. My zip code is 49506.
Have a great night.

Answer
Hi Lorretta,

I have a couple companies that can probably help you out - though some of them are a distance away.

Hoogerhyde Safe & Lock
616-458-6365          Tom Ziemer
1033 LEONARD NW
GRAND RAPIDS, MI.  49504

Mark's Lock Shop, Inc.
517-482-5809          Mark Blum
2107 South Cedar Street
Lansing, MI 48910-3129

Anchor Safe, Julius Bing Safe, & Metrpolitan Safe Co's
586-755-3570         Orest Kalba
2627 E. 8 Mile Rd.
Warren, MI 48091

If one of these three guys can't help you, they may know of someone in your area they would recommend.

Orest is probably my number one recommendation, though he is furthest away, and Mark would be #2.    Tom shouldn't have any problems though, I would still discuss pricing and what his plans for your safe would be.     

If you have any questions concerning pricing or how they plan on opening / repairing the safe, feel free to run it by me.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)