Locksmithing/broken safe

QUESTION: I have a SMNA safe, Spec. F2-ND, Serial No. W354909, class D.
It has a Yale K7 combination lock, but a broken lock insert (the piece that locks into the side of the safe. Where can I get a replacement Yale K7 or any advice you might have.
Thank you,
Pete Eriksen

ANSWER: Hi Peter,

Sorry but you DON'T have an SMNA safe!   The Safe Manufacturers National Association (SMNA) was a testing agency ONLY, and not a manufacturer.    The SMNA specification F2-ND indicates that it is a fire resistive, insulated container (File cabinet) - NOT a safe, regardless of the fact that it has a combination lock installed.
The SMNA classification "D", indicates that the container was rated for 1 hour of fire (heat) resistance.

You have a container or filing cabinet which is around 60 years old!

As far as the lock goes, Yale has not made combination locks in around 40 years, meaning there are no new locks or replacement parts available.   If you need a replacement, you will have to find someone with an old lock, or a similar container to use for donor parts.    Some new locks from other lock makers may be available, however the lock "footprint" may not be exactly the same.

Bottom line, either replace the lock with something newer, which is readily available, or discontinue the use of the lock.   there are several aftermarket makers, that make filing cabinet locking bars which attach to the face of the container.

sorry the news isn't what you were hoping for, but your looking for something which isn't readily available - at all!

QUESTION: Andy, Thanks very much for your response. I would like to pursue replacing the lock with something newer, as you suggest. Where can I find a lock replacement and somebody to do the work? I live in Indianapolis, IN. Thanks again

Sorry about the SMNA reference, it was the only name on the box.

You guys provide a great service.

Hi Peter,

No problems.    Part of my job is to make sure that you know exactly what you have.   This makes it much easier for you, when you need service and/or parts.

If you have access to the lock, I would recommend measuring the lock "mounting foot print", so that we can match it up with something.    If you would like, send an email directly to me.   I believe that I have a basic drawing that you can use to measure the lock.

This will give you a starting point on what to order.

For a company in your area, I would recommend your trying:

Pryor Safe & Lock, Inc.
Indianapolis, IN   46201

Hope this helps,

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)