Locksmithing/broken safe

Question
QUESTION: I have a SMNA safe, Spec. F2-ND, Serial No. W354909, class D.
It has a Yale K7 combination lock, but a broken lock insert (the piece that locks into the side of the safe. Where can I get a replacement Yale K7 or any advice you might have.
Thank you,
Pete Eriksen

ANSWER: Hi Peter,

Sorry but you DON'T have an SMNA safe!   The Safe Manufacturers National Association (SMNA) was a testing agency ONLY, and not a manufacturer.    The SMNA specification F2-ND indicates that it is a fire resistive, insulated container (File cabinet) - NOT a safe, regardless of the fact that it has a combination lock installed.
The SMNA classification "D", indicates that the container was rated for 1 hour of fire (heat) resistance.

You have a container or filing cabinet which is around 60 years old!

As far as the lock goes, Yale has not made combination locks in around 40 years, meaning there are no new locks or replacement parts available.   If you need a replacement, you will have to find someone with an old lock, or a similar container to use for donor parts.    Some new locks from other lock makers may be available, however the lock "footprint" may not be exactly the same.

Bottom line, either replace the lock with something newer, which is readily available, or discontinue the use of the lock.   there are several aftermarket makers, that make filing cabinet locking bars which attach to the face of the container.

sorry the news isn't what you were hoping for, but your looking for something which isn't readily available - at all!

QUESTION: Andy, Thanks very much for your response. I would like to pursue replacing the lock with something newer, as you suggest. Where can I find a lock replacement and somebody to do the work? I live in Indianapolis, IN. Thanks again

Sorry about the SMNA reference, it was the only name on the box.

You guys provide a great service.

Answer
Hi Peter,

No problems.    Part of my job is to make sure that you know exactly what you have.   This makes it much easier for you, when you need service and/or parts.

If you have access to the lock, I would recommend measuring the lock "mounting foot print", so that we can match it up with something.    If you would like, send an email directly to me.   I believe that I have a basic drawing that you can use to measure the lock.

This will give you a starting point on what to order.

For a company in your area, I would recommend your trying:

Pryor Safe & Lock, Inc.
317-352-1281
Indianapolis, IN   46201

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)